Immediately following the murders in Grapevine, Texas of two
highway patrolmen, Bonnie, Clyde and Henry Methvin were on the
run again. Sighted in the Texarkana, Arkansas area, they crossed
the Red River and entered into Oklahoma where heavy rains had been
battering the area for days.

Their Ford had become stuck in the mud, so Clyde and Methvin
attempted to flag down a passing motorist at gunpoint. The
motorist accelerated to safety and notified authorities about
the outlaws. Police Chief Percy Boyd and Constable Cal Campbell
went to the location to investigate, and exchanged gunfire with
the outlaws.

The sixty-three year old Campbell fell with a bullet to the
heart and Boyd who was in his thirties had received a head wound
and immediately surrendered. Barrow and Methvin then flagged down
a truck driver and at gunpoint forced him to liberate their car
from the mud.

When the truck driver looked inside of the car, he had noticed
Bonnie Parker calmly smoking a cigarette and a bloody subdued
Chief Boyd. Barrow told the trucker to warn the laws to back off
or the captured police chief would be killed. Clyde gave Chief
Boyd a new shirt to replace his bloody one and then began driving
around the countryside. During his ordeal on the road with the Barrow
gang, he struck up a conversation with the outlaws, bringing up
subjects such as the Grapevine murders.

Clyde denied any involvment in the killings and Bonnie expressed her
dismay at being dubbed a "cigar smoking gun moll". She wanted him to
tell the public that she didn't smoke 'em, saying "nice girls don't
smoke cigars". At a stop near Ft. Scott near the Missouri border they
bought a newspaper and read about the abduction of Chief Boyd, and also
learned of the death of Constable Campbell.

After a carefree picnic in the woods with their captive, they released
him nine miles south of Ft. Scott. Seventy-five miles to the south in
Coffeyville a large search party was scouring the area looking for the
elusive Barrow gang. This included Frank Hamer, Bob Alcorn, Manny Gault
and Ted Hinton. When they had received word of the police chief's release,
they were anxious to learn all of the details of his ordeal with the
notorious Barrow gang.

Methvin v State - page 6

Mrs. May Phelps testified that she lives near the Lost Trail Mine, and another mine north across the road called the Crab Apple Mine;
that her home was about a block south of the road where the shooting occurred; that she knew Cal Campbell in his lifetime and knew Percy
Boyd; that she heard the shooting and stepped out on the porch and saw two men with something in their hands which she supposed were guns,
which they were waving around; then she noticed a man traveling east with a gun in his hand; that she saw a woman dressed in red in the
car that was in the ditch. Everett Green testified that he was working at the Crab Apple Mine, about 350 feet from where the shooting affray
took place; that he saw the bandit car back into the ditch, and he saw two men get out of the car with guns, and the shooting started.


Methvin v State - page 7

On the part of the defendant, Albert 0. Lewis testified that he was working in the blacksmith shop of the Crab Apple Mine; when he
heard the first shot, he stepped out of the shop and ran up on the boulder pile where he could see the shooting; that he saw two men
near the car in the ditch; that one was shooting with an automatic rifle, and the other man was walking around the car apparently
examining the tires. He identified the defendant as being the man who was walking around the car while the shooting was going on.


Memorial Erected To Honor Slain Constable

In the town park off of Main Street - just north of the police station,
is a new monument honoring Cal Campbell. An engraved stone memorializes
the slain Constable. In the small shelter there, is also a copy of a
newspaper article of his obituary and details of the gun battle.

Thanks Jeffrey DeLong

Immediately following the shootout that claimed the life of Constable Cal Campbell and the wounding of Chief Percy Boyd,
the outlaws then left the scene with their lawman hostage. An unwilling passenger, with blood flowing down his face, onto his
shirt, Boyd was loaded into a car that had just been commendeered from passerby Jack Boydston. Near Ft. Scott, Kansas,
the worn and weary lawman was let go. Recovered from the getaway car were items which included Boyd's bloody necktie.

Recovered items seen below

How the clothing items may have looked back then

United States Bureau of Investigation document describes car and contents.
Partical of document is shown below